Meritocratic Isles
November 15, 2018, 01:13:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Please observe the rules set forth in our Civil Code.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: citizenship for quinechaba  (Read 53991 times)
Robinho
Ephor
Neodamode

Merit: 6

« on: August 28, 2008, 08:18:41 AM »

I, Robin of the nation of Quinechaba, pledge to act as a responsible citizen of the Meritocratic Isles, to uphold its laws, and to contribute to the governance of the region.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 08:30:08 AM by Robinho » Logged
Kadoshim
Archon Basileus
Spartiate

Merit: 14

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 08:41:56 AM »

Welcome to our forums, Quinecheba.

Please tell us a little bit about your nation.
Robinho
Ephor
Neodamode

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 09:10:18 AM »

Essentially my nation strives to be honorable and bases its laws and its teachings on the principles of karma.

I aim to run a nation that is based on the good for the whole as much as the indivdiual. I also believe that the encouragement of migrant workers and even the migration of my own citizens too other nations can only lead to good things. This i feel is due to the need for a government to reflect the society that it governs and thus be prepared to evolve   and assimilate new ideas. In terms of things like military i recognise the need for a defense but feel strongly that attacking another nation is never the right way to proceed. This may seem slightly at odds with the karmic teachings, but my nation aims to take a long term view thus an eye for an eye approach seems to simplistic and crude.

To summarise, Quinechaba strives to be honorable and fair in both its internal and external dealings, and is always willing to explore every option for one that best fits both the situation and our ideals.
Kadoshim
Archon Basileus
Spartiate

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 09:13:27 AM »

Impressive. Very impressive.

What do you think you could add to the Isles?
Robinho
Ephor
Neodamode

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 09:42:29 AM »

Philip Merilees (1972) " Does the flap of a butterfly’s wings in Brazil set off a tornado in Texas"
Merely by exsisting we influence others, so my nation believes that if it takes an active role in all issues wither they be global, local or regional we can try have a positive effect.
I aim to bring a new perspective to life in the isles, and to help debate the issues of everyday life. By our willingness to contribute we believe that we can help influence the world as well as allow the world to help promote growth in Quinechaba.

Its better to be pro-active than reactive.
King Chester
Geronta
Perioikos

Merit: 16

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 12:37:56 PM »

Greetings, Robinho.

WE also believe in taking initiative in the betterment of OUR nation and the region of The Meritocratic Isles.  WE look forward to philosophical discussions of that nature with you.  With this in mind, WE also wish to make some inquiries regarding your beliefs about good governance:

You cite that the assimilation of "new ideas" is very important to you and your nation.  Is every new idea worthy of assimilation into your culture?

WE have persons within OUR kingdom's borders who wish to expand the meaning of the word, "marriage", while others fight this expansion of that word's meaning.

As a government, WE believe that the traditional meaning and practice of marriage replenishes the population and are prone to side with those petitioners to the Crown that wish to exclude the word, "marriage" from non-traditional relationships.

What are your thoughts?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 12:39:39 PM by King Chester » Logged
Robinho
Ephor
Neodamode

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 01:51:27 PM »

Not every idea is necessarily one that would be assimiliated but the exploration and evaluation of each is certainly one of the aims of my administration. All ideas should be respected and not ridiculled wither they become accepted by our society or not.

Our government feels that marriage is an instution to be praised, but we do not mean the traditional religious model of other societies. We feel that marriage should essentially be a long term partnership between two people wither they be the straight or homosexual.
As a means to adress birth rates etc we feel that marriage is not the answer. Yes it plays a part but with a good social benifits system for support of parents, single or not, as well as money invested in to things specifically to do with the upbring of children such as education facillities for out of school time and even such simple things as healthcare. Making such facillities available to immigrants and their families as well we feel also encourages the population growth.
i feel that yes it is preferable to have two parents who are in a marriage, but it is not essential for the healthy upbring of children. there are plenty examples of children brought up by single parents or are adopted etc who grow up healthy. with encouragement of strong community, family units coupled with the above mentioned social benifit system i feel there is no reason why a population can not continue to grow.

Basically sticking to the karmic principles i have mentioned earlier our society feels that marriage between two consenting partners of either sex is to be encouraged wither it be in a religious context or not. we also believe that by looking after the future generations now they will be their to help our generation when we start to need it. Not that ageing necessarily makes you helpless mind.

What are your opinions on the traditional nuclear family mode? do you feel that it epitomizes your traditional marriage model? (this is a genuine question and not ment as an attack on your principles) Our society feel that the family unit works best when it is extended to include multiple generations as well as those not necessarily biologically related or in a 'marriage' like relationship with someone who is.
King Chester
Geronta
Perioikos

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 05:04:10 PM »

WE do feel that the traditional "nuclear family" is the best model and environment for the proper up-bringing of children.  Also, that in the event that the best model cannot be maintained, that other family structures are not without certain merits, however those other models should not be actively sought for selfish gratification and in preference to traditional marriage.  At it's best, the traditional family model provides children to have role models of both genders.  Though WE would not forcibly separate an unwed mother from her newborn child, WE would encourage the adoption of such a child to a two-parent traditional family unit.

Another reason that WE favor the traditional family and traditional marriage is that a native population generally has a greater loyalty to it's nation.  While there are many immigrants who come to a nation to enjoy that nation's character, there are also those immigrants who come merely to exploit the good nature of the host nation's citizenry.  Therefore, WE believe this policy helps maintain national ideals and identity.

Do you have any objection regarding having the word, "marriage", reserved for it's traditional meaning?  Will another word, or words, be suitable in your mind to describe non-traditional relationships.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 08:02:51 PM by King Chester » Logged
Robinho
Ephor
Neodamode

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2008, 09:18:05 AM »

Your points for the natives in traditional marriages  and family roles being more loyal to the cause is a valid one. We in Quinechaba however feel that loyallty should not just be inherited but also should be inspired hence our attitude to immigration. We feel that by providing a safe positive environment to all family types can only strengthen communities and in turn the society as a whole.

Our only objection to the term marriage is when it is a term restricted to male female relationships. we feel that any partnership that wants to declare its long term commitment to each other should count as a marriage wither it is straight or not.

the argument for the traditional family model providing a solid role model for each gender is one that we have not really considered, and thus we must think about. Our feelings on the matter tend to be that through strong family and community support children can get a variety of strong role models of both genders, which surely can only enrichen their lives?
King Chester
Geronta
Perioikos

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2008, 12:24:54 PM »

WE tend to identify large cats with manes as "lions" and other large cats with black and white stripes as "snow tigers".  While they are both cats, they are not the same type of cat.

WE hold that the relationship between a man and a woman is fundamentally different than the relationship between two males or two females.  WE find no karmic benefit or penalty from recognizing that there is a difference between different gender relationships and same gender relationships.  Therefore, WE uphold the idea that marriage is a social contract between a man and a woman and see no reason why a non-traditional relationship should not be given a different designation.

Do you believe that men and women are interchangeable?
Robinho
Ephor
Neodamode

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2008, 02:50:23 AM »

we beleive that the term marriage should define the social contract. yes there are differences between males and females. In a marriage however we feel that gender is interchangable in the eyes of the law. Although we accept that some religious groups may disagree.
King Chester
Geronta
Perioikos

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2008, 06:28:35 AM »

WE thoroughly enjoy participating in passionate debate.  However, WE also do not wish to stifle the original subject of your aplication for citizenship.  WE invite to to continue this discussion later and on one of the other sections of the site.  Though WE have many arguments supporting OUR positition, at this time on this matter, WE agree to disagree.

Also, in the future, WE should like to discuss your views on immigration and assimilation of the immigrant population.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 06:39:50 AM by King Chester » Logged
Kadoshim
Archon Basileus
Spartiate

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2008, 06:57:32 AM »

This applicant clearly shows the merit required to politely engage in a debate, and yet still get his point across. I support the admission of this applicant and hope to see more of this in the future.
King Chester and Robin, you must realize how much culture and life such discussions bring to the Meritocratic Isles. Based on the talent I have seen in the last few days I would suspect that even those in the Senate of the Meritocracy would be jealous.
Robinho
Ephor
Neodamode

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2008, 07:08:53 AM »

We at Quincheba certainly look forward to that King Chester.
 Grin
King Chester
Geronta
Perioikos

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2008, 08:51:15 AM »

The Archon Basileus Kadoshim is most gracious with his praise.  WE are honored.

WE hope that it is with your approval that WE have brought up the matter, formally, in the Voting Chamber of the Apella.
Kadoshim
Archon Basileus
Spartiate

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2008, 06:38:04 AM »

Quinechaba, you are now a citizen of the Politeia. Congratulations.
Robinho
Ephor
Neodamode

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2008, 01:23:13 PM »

Thank you its an honour
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: