Meritocratic Isles
November 15, 2018, 12:08:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Please take a look at the historical documents in The Athenaeum.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Free Land of Camenia applies for citizenship  (Read 59557 times)
PINERAT
Citizen
Neodamode

Merit: 2

« on: August 29, 2008, 09:45:32 AM »

I, PINERAT of the nation of FREE LAND OF CAMENIA, pledge to act as a responsible citizen of the Meritocratic Isles, to uphold its laws, and to contribute to the governance of the region.

I humbly ask for your response, your approval, and your assistance as we become good citizens of the region and the world.
King Chester
Geronta
Perioikos

Merit: 16

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 12:43:54 PM »

Greetings, Pinerat.
WE welcome the opportunity to get to know you and your nation during your application for citizenship.  WE hope you will find this time not overly intrusive.

You have had the opportunity to browse about the other governments of the Meritocratic Isles and the Regional government here.  Allow US these questions:

1.  What projects or legislation would benefit most of the individual nation-states dwelling in the Meritocratic Isles?

2.  What rules of the Meritocratic Isles Regional Government do you appreciate or dislike the most, and why, and what might be bettered?

3.  Your country has recently outlawed the eating of meat.  We now know that Adolf Hitler was a vegetarian.  Should the other nations of the Meritocratic Isles be concerned over the possibility of a nation of Hitlers?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 04:58:19 PM by King Chester » Logged
PINERAT
Citizen
Neodamode

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 02:29:49 PM »

I need to do some more studying and learning about both the Meritocracy and the member nations, so my response to your first question is I need more time for study.

Question 2, about the rules of the Meritocratic Isles, is that I have high regard and respect for all that I have looked at. I especially agree with and value 3a and 3b of the Civil Code, dealing with freedom of speech (as long as legal in relation to Title II) and freedom from discrimination. All people are deserving of a hearing of their opinions, values, and world view. They are deserving of respect of those outlooks, as well as respect of their personhood.

Question 3, about vegetarianism. While not a vegetarian myself, I do not eat a lot of meat, and very little of it is red meat. There are some proven health benefits in the vegetarian lifestyle. Meat-eating has not been outlawed, but a more vegetarian life style is encouraged (as a way to encourage humane treatment of the animals we do use--and we DO need to use them. But outright abuse during that use is not good.
Also, since you are raising up Hitler as a truly bad example of a vegetarian, you could look at Stalin or Mao as bad examples of meat eaters.
You should also look at stellar examples of vegetarians, among them Albert Schweitzer, Albert Einstein,  Abraham Lincoln. Cesar Chavez, Doris Day, Deepak Chopra, Epicurus, Mark Twain, Scott Adams (Of Dilbert fame), and Isaac Newton. 
Kadoshim
Archon Basileus
Spartiate

Merit: 14

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 02:39:22 PM »

You-Gi-Owe and Camenia, those are quite interesting, but seemingly irrelevant, comments about vegetarianism.

What would you contribute to the Isles, Camenia?
PINERAT
Citizen
Neodamode

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 02:49:11 PM »

Kadoshim: I was responding to the question about vegetarianism (and while Hitler was recommended by his doctor to eat a vegetarian diet, he did not follow it very well), and I certainly do not think diet will turn all Camenians (nor anyone else) into hordes of Hitlers or Einsteins or Schweitzers  or anyone else.

In response to your question, Kadoshim, I think that Camenia offers open-mindedness and acceptance as a starting point. We listen to the views of others, thoughtfully consider what they have to say in the light of our experiences, and try to offer logical, reasoned responses that are fair to all while upholding and encouraging our values.

We wish to share our knowledge and experiences, and what we have come to experience  of the truth, but we will also not force that on others--they need to make their own intelligent and informed decisions, which we believe will usually come down close to what we proclaim.
King Chester
Geronta
Perioikos

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 04:55:27 PM »

Grin  Please forgive US.  Sometimes WE find OURSELVES in a darkly humerous mood.  WE woke much too early and couldn't get back to sleep, and from there all bets are off  Grin .
PINERAT
Citizen
Neodamode

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 07:02:09 AM »

I await any other questions that may be required in order to help the citizenship board get to know me better, and to help them decide. I wish to be of use to the Meritocratic Isles, and feel that citizenship is best learned and earned through exercising and using it--that is, through acting on the rights and duties expected of a citizen.
Kadoshim
Archon Basileus
Spartiate

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 07:15:18 AM »

I apologize for the wait, Camenia. Once the application does come to vote you can expect the Apella to cast their votes promptly. In fact, we had a record fast ending of a citizenship vote just a few days ago.
I would like to give the Apella until the end of today to question you, because once the voting comes the application virtually ends. In the meantime:

Tell us about the extent of freedom given to the people in your nation.
PINERAT
Citizen
Neodamode

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2008, 09:03:45 AM »

The ideal of freedom and rights is that of the Great Leader, Thomas Jefferson.  It is often called "classical liberal" or "libertarian"--people are encouraged to educate themselves on the choices they make, encouraged to make their own decisions about their lives.
Will they make mistakes? Yes. The lessons learned from mistakes stick with us more effectively than those told to us.
The people are highly encouraged to learn as much as possible about issues and the related decisions they will make. They are encouraged to consult with others who may have gone through the same sorts of events, in order to make well informed choices and decisions.
The government can provide some of the education, make some of the connections, provide access to information, but it is not the job of our government to make the decisions, live the lives, of our citizens.

We see the job of the government of helping to protect our citizens from harm from outside--from other people, from the environment, from other nations.

We want to see wise use of resources, environment, and the like, to protect the future. But the government encourages, does not decide every last issue for people.
King Chester
Geronta
Perioikos

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2008, 10:04:08 AM »

Do you see any contradiction between Mr. Jefferson's views and the fact that he owned slaves?
PINERAT
Citizen
Neodamode

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2008, 11:05:10 AM »

Yes, I do. But we need to remember that our great leaders of the past were as human as we ourselves are. We are all full of contradictions. The greatest pitfall of being human.

Jefferson's conscience was in constant turmoil over slavery, and he made plans to free his slaves after his death (so as to avoid the wrath of fellow slave owners over his actions?).

But he did, I believe, see the wrongs of slavery, and actually did do things to alleviate the worst of the system without actually doing away with it. Contradictory? Definitely.

But I do believe that if Jefferson had been alive just a little later in time, he would have worked more openly in ending the system.
King Chester
Geronta
Perioikos

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2008, 01:05:17 PM »

Yes.  WE are only merely humans.

WE tend to be in favor of the citizenship of the Free Land of Camenia and it's participation in the Apella.
PINERAT
Citizen
Neodamode

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2008, 09:25:02 PM »

Thank you King Chester of Geronta. I will do my best to live up to the honor you show in my efforts to be a worthy and thoughtful candidate for citizenship of the Meritocratic Isles.
Kadoshim
Archon Basileus
Spartiate

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2008, 02:30:22 PM »

Camenia, your application for citizenship has come to vote in the Apella. Good luck.
PINERAT
Citizen
Neodamode

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2008, 03:05:47 PM »

Thank you Kadoshim. Whatever the outcome of the vote, I feel I have found a great region to be a part of. I look forward to the future!
PINERAT
Citizen
Neodamode

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2008, 09:18:22 AM »

When will Camenia citizenship be official. Have we been forgotten?

We have wanted to be productive and active CITIZENS of the Meritocratic Isles, but feel that we are being overlooked.

We hope it is an oversight that will soon be corrected.

Thank you to the honorable leaders of the Meritocratic Isles.
Kadoshim
Archon Basileus
Spartiate

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2008, 12:07:32 PM »

I apologize for the wait, Camenia. The voting ends in just a few hours and so far you have 6 in favor and 0 against. I can say with near certainty that you will soon be a citizen.
PINERAT
Citizen
Neodamode

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2008, 07:51:11 PM »

Thank you, honorable Kadoshim.

I was just concerned.

Thanks for your attention.

Pinerat of Camenia
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: