Meritocratic Isles
November 20, 2018, 04:19:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: All citizens are encouraged to sign up to join the military.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Was choosing Sarah Palin as a running mate a good choice for John McCain?
Yes
No

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Sarah Palin as Running Mate  (Read 81435 times)
Kadoshim
Archon Basileus
Spartiate

Merit: 14

« on: August 29, 2008, 02:47:28 PM »

Sarah Who? Absolutely not.
John McCain ruins his arguments about Obama's inexperience, his most effective ones so far, by choosing a 44-year-old, who served as governor of Alaska for two years, as his Vice-Presidential Candidate.
Shieldelf
Citizen
Perioikos

Merit: 8

Commander, Isles Militia

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 04:41:33 PM »

Horrible choice... theres 4.0 GPA students in my school who didn't know Alaska was a US State... thats sure not going to help him.

King Chester
Geronta
Perioikos

Merit: 16

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 05:16:16 PM »

EXCELLENT CHOICE.
1.   McCain REALLY DOESN'T NEED ANY HELP to beat Obama and Biden.
2.  McCain has OFTEN ticked off the conservative wing of the Republican Party with his "Maverick" act.  The choice of Gov. Palin brings back previously disheartened conservative voters.
3.  Hillary can't say beans about a woman, or lack of a woman, on the ticket.
4.  Does more to get a greater share of the female vote.
5.  Gov. Palin has more press and a better story as a reformer politician than Obama.
6.  For all of the talk about too many Washington "insiders", she is the real "Non-Washingtonian".
7.  She likes to go fishing.
8.  She likes to hunt and eat the kill ( moose-burgers ).
9.  If only WE were rich and she were still single.  *sigh*
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 10:47:09 PM by King Chester » Logged
Kadoshim
Archon Basileus
Spartiate

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 11:11:18 AM »

Your Majesty, you mentioned in the application of Quinechaba:
WE do feel that the traditional "nuclear family" is the best model and environment for the proper up-bringing of children.  Also, that in the event that the best model cannot be maintained, that other family structures are not without certain merits, however those other models should not be actively sought for selfish gratification and in preference to traditional marriage.  At it's best, the traditional family model provides children to have role models of both genders.
Sarah Palin is not as qualified to be president as McCain, Obama, or Biden. She has a Bachelors degree in science and journalism from the University of Idaho and minored in political science. For a mere two years she was governor of Alaska, a state with a smaller population than many cities. She has five children, the youngest of which is not even six months old.
If McCain were elected he would be the oldest person ever to be president. If something tragic were to happen to him while he were in office, Sarah Palin would be the third youngest person ever to be president.
Could she lead 300 million people out of an economic slump and face menaces like Putin and Ahmadinejād while also having the demanding responsibilities of caring for five children?
King Chester
Geronta
Perioikos

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 01:19:16 PM »

Archon Basileus Kadoshim,
WE stand by OUR decision and opinion that Sarah Palin in an excellent choice for Vice President of the United States.
1.  For qualifications, her two years of executive experience as Governor of Alaska measure favorably against persons with only committee experience and with no executive experience.
2.  Her nuclear family is intact.
3.  Having a parent who is Vice President and possibly the next President is a great role model for her children.
4.  No one ever accused Margaret Thatcher of being soft against foreign enemies or that she could not lead her nation in times of trouble.
5.  JFK was 43 when elected, and that was for the top job.  As Vice President, Sarah Palin gains more experience and becomes a credible possibility that a conservative will be the first female President of the United States of America.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 01:25:47 PM by King Chester » Logged
Kadoshim
Archon Basileus
Spartiate

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 02:00:34 PM »

Your Majesty,
1. I think Senator Obama shows a knowledge of his inexperience by picking Senator Biden, a Senator for 36 years with fantastic foreign policy experience. In office you could expect Obama taking Biden's advice on handling international issues. If Palin were in the office of president however, she would obviously not have the help of Senator McCain.
2. As governor of Alaska, Palin has kept her family intact. The United States of America has 448 times as many people as the state of Alaska. Surely a job with so much more at stake would be exponentially more demanding and stressful.
3. I was not questioning if she would be a good role model. I was wondering if your beliefs in the importance of a traditional nuclear family would affect your opinion of a mother with an infant and four other children taking the role as vice president, and possibly even president.
4. Margaret Thatcher and Sarah Palin are not the same person. Margaret Thatcher was 53 when she took office as prime minister of Great Britain, almost 10 years older than Sarah Palin is. Thatcher's political career stretched back nearly 30 years from the time she gained the position. In comparison, Palin's political career started a mere 16 years ago.
5. I realize that, but keep in mind, the position of Vice President is not political training wheels. If she wants to gain experience, put her in a spot where she has less potential to gain experience at the expense of the American people.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 02:03:34 PM by Kadoshim » Logged
King Chester
Geronta
Perioikos

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 04:25:59 PM »

Archon Basileus Kadoshim,
1.  The notion that Senator Obama needs an experienced hand to guide him in matters of foreign policy indicates to US that the Senator has not studied enough on international affairs for the job of President.  Also, while Senator Biden may have some diplomatic experience, WE question his strength of will in leading the free world, should they be elected and some unfortunate event befall Mr. Obama.  WE even question the strength of will of Mr. Obama to lead the country and the free world.  As a famous democrat party statesman once said, "The Buck Stops Here."  To which WE add, "Lead or Get Out of the Way."
2.  Under the logic of avoiding increased burden and stress, no one should ever aspire to anything.
3.  As marriage is a partnership, WE expect her husband to understand the importance of the role that history is thrusting upon her and do his best to help.  Also, they can certainly afford to hire help.
4.  WE see Mrs. Thatcher and Mrs. Palin, not so much as kindred spirits in experience but cut from the same cloth in character.
5.  Other than waiting for the President to croak, the Vice President has two jobs:  A.  To be the President's representative for those times when the President cannot be somewhere due to conflicts of time and space, and B. to cast the deciding vote in the Senate if there is a tie.  Ask Al Gore or Dan Quayle.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 05:11:52 PM by King Chester » Logged
Huttok
Citizen
Neodamode

Merit: 11

Carpe Diem Baby

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 09:21:52 PM »

Im a Brit and dont have a clue what u are talking about!
PINERAT
Citizen
Neodamode

Merit: 2

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2008, 09:36:04 PM »

I feel that Sarah Palin is not the ideal proposal for a vice-presidential candidate. A woman as a candidate is excellent--a great role model, and other great positive things. But there are negatives with Sarah Palin, the largest being her lack of experience, which has been John McCain's picking point with Obama.

What of other excellent women in the Republican party, such as Condoleeza Rice or Elizabeth Dole?

I wonder about the logic (or lack thereof) in our "leadership."

King Chester
Geronta
Perioikos

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2008, 10:30:29 PM »

Look, there can be all types of discussion regarding choices.  Barak Obama wasn't likely an ideal choice.  His choice of Joe Biden as his running mate likely wasn't an ideal choice.  God knows that McCain wasn't likely an ideal choice.  McCain certainly wasn't OUR first choice, but the choice of Gov. Palin is probably the best thing he could do to unite the Republican party.

Given that the nation is close to being evenly divided between liberals and conservatives, the party with the strongest factor of unification will win.  Gov. Palin strengthens McCain's conservative credentials and gives liberal women who were feeling disenfranchised an opportunity to vote for a woman.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 10:50:23 PM by King Chester » Logged
Kadoshim
Archon Basileus
Spartiate

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2008, 06:34:27 AM »

Chester, do you honestly believe that liberal women will set aside their political beliefs just so they can vote for another woman?
Even from your perspective they would still be voting for the right candidate for the wrong reasons. Since McCain's slogan is "Country First", he should get people to vote for him because they think he would do the best job of improving the country, not by putting a woman on the ticket. If you are so confident that McCain does not need the help of a vice president to win the election, why did he sacrifice experience, a trait which he so values, in his pick, in exchange for the opportunity to trick liberal women into voting for him?
As a side note, I would like to request that you not try to rebuttal saying Senator Obama being African American attracts conservative African Americans, just as Governor Palin would attract liberal women.  Obama did not choose to be African American, but McCain did choose to pick a woman.
King Chester
Geronta
Perioikos

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2008, 07:15:32 AM »

WE had not intended on bringing the matter of race into this discussion.  WE leave that to the persons of the liberal persuasion.

While WE do not expect the vast majority of liberal women to jump the fence, WE do recognize that there are certainly a number of women with more loyalty to gender than to political party.  Women who may feel betrayed.  "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned" and other phrases to similar effect.

Yes, WE do feel that John McCain was strong enough to win with nearly anyone as his running mate.  Unlike Senators Obama and Biden, who competed and called each other's ideas into question, by not choosing a person who competed against him McCain does not have to say that someone wasn't good enough to be President during the primaries but is good enough to succeed him as President if he dies.

It is OUR position that that Gov. Palin was MAINLY chosen for her character, and that her gender and the possible benefits of gender to the ticket were secondary considerations.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 07:39:48 AM by King Chester » Logged
Kadoshim
Archon Basileus
Spartiate

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2008, 05:57:29 PM »

It was recently revealed that Sarah Palin's 17-year-old, unmarried daughter is five months pregnant. Until this incident it appeared that Palin was a decent mother, but this uncovering blows the question wide open once more.
King Chester, a teenage pregnancy is certainly not a sign of the wonderful parenting you claim Palin could provide for five children in addition to her political career. Perhaps you should rethink how easy it would be for Palin to continue managing her huge family while in the office of vice president or even president.
Huttok
Citizen
Neodamode

Carpe Diem Baby

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2008, 07:13:42 PM »

Woah there whats wrong with her daughter getting pregnant and not being married?!?! Thats bringing a shed load of personal belief down there! I know people who have children at that age from respectable families without getting married and grow up perfectly normal, happy lives. Just because its not what YOU would consider bad parenting doesn't mean its true. Do you know this woman personally so much so you can comment that just because her daughter got pregnant SHE was a bad mother.

Your so opinionated yet you really don't have a clue, what you said there Kadoshim was absolutley stunning. The fact that a literate adult would make a comment like that is appalling, such a narrow minded view. Theres a box  get out of it and look at the world around you.

No offense intended to all you here that have actually got a functioning brain such as Chester who is giving a legitimate debate where you Kadoshim are trying to shout and scream your point across and its so invalid.

I am sickened reading this, the so called superpower of the world produces such characters as this.
Shieldelf
Citizen
Perioikos

Commander, Isles Militia

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2008, 07:26:15 PM »

Huttok, you really didn't need to scream at Kadoshim. And Kadoshim, a lot of girls are getting pregnent, even before the age of 17. I don't approve, but it doesn't mean bad parenting is the cause of it.

King Chester
Geronta
Perioikos

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2008, 11:42:03 PM »

Very true.  The boyfriend/fiance (yes, they will be married) just might be a natual silver-tongued handsome devil who just overwhelmed the poor girl's defenses.  Gee this is sounding like a tacky romance novel.

Thank you, Huttok and Shieldelf, for separating the wheat of the arguement from the chaff.

WE still stand by all of our other arguments, and WE never claimed Gov. Palin was a perfect mother.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 06:18:52 AM by King Chester » Logged
Huttok
Citizen
Neodamode

Carpe Diem Baby

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2008, 12:38:52 PM »

I do apologize for shouting Shieldelf.
Kadoshim
Archon Basileus
Spartiate

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2008, 12:53:50 PM »

Leaders, I apologize for my offensive post. I do think the responses to it were taken enormously out of context, though.
If you look earlier on in this discussion you can see that the family life of Palin and how it was affected by her political career was mentioned multiple times by Chester and me. Your Majesty, please correct me if I am wrong, but the lives of families and the raising of children are things very important to Chester, and I was interested to see his opinions on Palin's large family.
It was noted by Chester earlier in this debate that Palin's nuclear family was intact. A teenage pregnancy is an issue that must be handled by the family, as would be extremely difficult for Palin's daughter to persue higher levels of education and become as successful as her mother while taking care of an infant. This clearly changes the dynamics of Governor Palin's family and therefore one can asses the condition of her family again.
Assuming that Palin's family is completely unchanged by this is like assuming that an infant who is perfectly healthy will never need to see a doctor because his medical condition will simply not change.
Leaders, I would request that you re-read my offensive post. As Shieldelf seemed to suggest, perhaps it is more irrelevant than narrowminded.
A teenage pregnancy is certainly not the sign of wonderful parenting, but in truth it is not the sign of poor parenting either. The simple point can be made that a teenage pregnancy is unrelated to parenting and therefore this incident does not reflect on Palin.
Shieldelf
Citizen
Perioikos

Commander, Isles Militia

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2008, 02:04:51 PM »

I'm sorry too Kadoshim, I misread your post. To me it appeared you were just yelling.

Huttok
Citizen
Neodamode

Carpe Diem Baby

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2008, 04:32:31 PM »

Much clearer now. Apologies for my rudeness without asking I jumped straight in. Although at least we know we have some leaders not afraid to get into the nitty gritty arguments.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: