Meritocratic Isles
November 15, 2018, 12:01:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Please observe the rules set forth in our Civil Code.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Republic of Gnosium applies for Citizenship  (Read 24260 times)
Gnosium
Citizen
Helot

Merit: 1

« on: September 02, 2008, 09:33:16 AM »

I, Armend Liphardt of the nation of Gnosium, pledge to act as a responsible citizen of the Meritocratic Isles, to uphold its laws, and to contribute to the governance of the region.
King Chester
Geronta
Perioikos

Merit: 16

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 12:29:30 PM »

Greetings, Armend Liphardt.  Welcome to the Meritocratic Isles   (politzens site) .

WE and OUR fellow nations are always looking for new member nations of intelligence and integrity to join US.

Tell US of your land.

WE hope that you will take some time to familiarize yourself with the Meritocratic Isles institutions, such as the Nomos and the Apella.  Review them and share your opinions with your fellow nations here.  Do you believe that some new law or tradion might help the nations of the Meritocratic Isles?

Be advised that some nations may wish to ask you to expand or clarify some of your statements.

HRH, Chester,
Lord of House Worden,
Steward of God,
King, Reigning over You-Gi-Owe.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 09:17:11 PM by King Chester » Logged
Gnosium
Citizen
Helot

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 07:37:06 PM »

My great welcome to you as well, your Highness.

Our land is a newly founded nation, dedicated to the principle that knowledge and reason should inspire all public discourse, and that love of all of humanity should guide all public policy.  We seek only to be a peaceful nation, content now to expand as we might in harmony with others.

Our citizenry hopes that the Meritocratic Isles will be a home where they can raise their families to the best of their ability to help the human race in all of Gnosium, all of the Isles, and all of the world.

I must confess that I am still familiarizing myself with the traditions of the Isles, and look forward to doing so much as you so wisely suggest.  In keeping with our guiding spirit of gnosos, I cannot claim to know any change that might improve the Isles.  Granted, I will never be silent in the case that I think Gnosium may help foster productive change.  But at this time I cannot with integrity suggest any changes when I know little of what I would alter.

As Prime Minister of Gnosium, I welcome all constituent nations of the Isles to question my application and the values of the nation which I am so proud to represent.

Guided as always by Reason,
Armend Liphardt
Prime Minister, Republic of Gnosium
King Chester
Geronta
Perioikos

Merit: 16

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 09:32:29 PM »

You are the essence of humility and refinement, Prime Minister Armend Liphardt.  Prudence and wisdom seem to rest easy in your presence.  Still, as much as WE wish the world to again be as it was before the fall, WE do live in a world that is contentious and prone to strife.  Difficult decisions must often be made.

What is your government's attitude about "tough love"?  Do you love your citizens better by considering the sensibilities of the majority over the minority (whether or not you personally agree with the majority), or by considering the sensibilities of the minority over the majority (because you feel the majority will eventually come around to the minority's point of view) ?

What is to be done about the dissenters among either side, should the decision go against their wishes?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 09:58:22 PM by King Chester » Logged
Gnosium
Citizen
Helot

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 10:20:18 AM »

The hallmark of an enlightened civilization is its ability to partake in reasoned discourse free from any mar of political violence.  However, decisions must be made eventually, and the people of Gnosium have entrusted the government with the power to rule by majority.

Our system of government is as simple as it is complex.  The prime minister is the head of government and of state.  We rely on the simplicity of a Parliament, based on proportional representation, to fairly reflect the will of the people.  The prime minister, or head of the Parliament, is in charge of forming the Governing Council, the executive authority of the nation.

However, we do not rely solely on simple majority rule.  While we see the majority will of our educated populace as the best way to govern ourselves, we also must respect the rights of our entire citizenry.  Any group of 25% of the legislature can place a "restraint" on any piece of legislation put forth by the Governing Council or any members, thus requiring a 55% majority to pass instead of a bare majority.  Also, while we do allow votes of confidence in the Governing Council, it requires a 60% vote in disapproval to dissolve the Council.  We seek to minimize the instability inherent in a Parliament without the need to elect a chief executive, like a President.

While our government is new, we are still searching for the best mechanism to protect minority rights, while allowing the majority to exert its will.   As in all things, here we seek a balance.
Kadoshim
Archon Basileus
Spartiate

Merit: 14

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 12:03:06 PM »

That is an interesting balance you describe.
Do you possess any special skills that may be of use to the Meritocratic Isles?
Gnosium
Citizen
Helot

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 10:56:31 AM »

Our nation is small compared to the great nations found here in the Isles, and it would be unbecoming of me to suggest otherwise.

However, I can pledge that Gnosium will bring a commitment to the betterment of the region in whatever way is possible.  When we founded our nation, we were never of the mind that we would be isolationists, but rather to try to help shape in what way we could the future of our home region.  Keeping with our national ethos, we also bring an unending willingness to learn.

My pledge is that we will be supportive of the Isles in their growth and their life politic, and that we will never close ourselves off to the advice of others, who may be more knowledgable that ourselves.
Kadoshim
Archon Basileus
Spartiate

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 06:43:02 AM »

I support this applicant. This is a last call for questioning Gnosium. If no questions are asked in the next 10 hours the voting will commence.
Kadoshim
Archon Basileus
Spartiate

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 11:47:59 AM »

Congratulations, Gnosium, your application for citizenship passed.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: