Meritocratic Isles
November 12, 2018, 10:25:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Meritocratic Isles!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: World to End Tonight, 12:30 AM Eastern Daylight Time USA  (Read 16320 times)
King Chester
Geronta
Perioikos

Merit: 16

« on: September 09, 2008, 01:03:24 PM »

The LARGE HADRON COLLIDER does it's thing in just over eight hours from now.

In the U.S.A. this will be 12:30 AM EDT on Wednesday September 10, and 11:30 PM Central Time on Tuesday Night September 9, 10:30 PM Mountain Time and 9:30 PM Pacific Coast time.

If the worst happens, look me up on the other side Smiley
Shieldelf
Citizen
Perioikos

Merit: 8

Commander, Isles Militia

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 01:52:53 PM »

Lol the dark whole machine isn't going to work. Scientists are wrong. Unless this isn't related to that.

Kadoshim
Archon Basileus
Spartiate

Merit: 14

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 02:09:05 PM »

Very funny, Chester. The tiny particles in a particle accelerator are so small that there is no way that they could have an affect on the entire world.
That is as ridiculous as saying that microscopic organisms can cause humans to become sick and die.
Scratch that.
Stephen Hawking has already mathematically proven with no experimentation that black holes give off radiation and decay.
Not believing this is science just because it is merely an unexperimented theory written on paper is as preposterous as saying intelligent design is not science.
Scratch that too.
So far I have done an excellent job at destroying my own points but I hope these last few sentences will convice you.
I am not worried. Humans are already hard at work destroying their planet with greenhouse gasses. Why should we worry about the LHC?
Robinho
Ephor
Neodamode

Merit: 6

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 04:27:44 PM »

like the world would end without my politics or King Chesters being proven the right way that would be intolerable cruelty  Wink

Speak to you the morrow
King Chester
Geronta
Perioikos

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 07:06:48 PM »

Hey, Just wanted show appreciation to everyone IF it all goes to heck.

Would have thought there'd be something on the news networks.

Don't really think the world will end tonight, but it's been an interesting time considering what the afterlife will be like.

2 hours, 23 minutes to go  Smiley .
Shieldelf
Citizen
Perioikos

Merit: 8

Commander, Isles Militia

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 08:23:57 PM »

One hour left if your time (and mine) is right.

King Chester
Geronta
Perioikos

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 09:53:15 PM »

Well, apparently the world will NOT end tonight.  If a black hole WAS created, it may be so small that eating up the world might take more time than imagined.  So, unless an asteroid of sufficient size intercepts the Earth in it's orbit about the sun, or the human race does another remakably stupid stunt, then the next thing to worry about is the ancient Mayan calendar ending on 21 DEC 2012.

WE now return you to your regularly scheduled life.
Kadoshim
Archon Basileus
Spartiate

Merit: 14

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 12:08:08 PM »

Indeed, the world did not end last night.
A cousin of mine is a physicist and has tried to teach me a bit about black holes. If any of you out there are physicists, please do not lash out if I am incorrect:
If a black hole was created its mass would have been so tiny that it would almost instantaneously disappear. A black hole constantly loses mass due to the Hawking radiation it gives off. If its mass shrinks to zero it obviously no longer exists. A black hole grows if the mass of the matter and energy going into it is greater than the Hawking radiation constantly going out of it.
A black hole created by a particle accelerator would have so little mass that within an instant of being existing without matter going into it, it would cease to exist. One could argue that it could suck up some matter and survive, but the environment within the particle accelerator is a vacuum and the various particles left over from the collision would be unimaginably scattered given their size.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: