Meritocratic Isles
November 20, 2018, 04:21:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Please observe the rules set forth in our Civil Code.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: The Disputed Territiories Of Symphanic applies for citizenship  (Read 90515 times)
Symphanic
Citizen
Neodamode

Merit: 0

« on: September 10, 2008, 08:15:00 AM »

I, Symphanic of the nation of The Disputed Territories Of Symphanic, pledge to act as a responsible citizen of the Meritocratic Isles, to uphold its laws, and to contribute to the governance of the region.
Kadoshim
Archon Basileus
Spartiate

Merit: 14

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 11:55:58 AM »

Welcome to our forums Symphanic.

Please descibe your country to us.
Shieldelf
Citizen
Perioikos

Merit: 8

Commander, Isles Militia

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 01:57:01 PM »

Hey mates, just a little info, I worked with Symphanic over the summer, he's pretty good, and we should let him in, but I'm gunna stay out of is there is no conflict of interest.

Symphanic
Citizen
Neodamode

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 03:18:55 PM »

Well my country has a dieing economy, good civil rights, a high tax rate, and political freedoms are outlawed. The decisions I make for my country are based on what I think is best for the county at that given time, though i do give thought into long-term effects. If you want more detail or have more more questions feel free to post on here or send e a message.
Symphanic
Citizen
Neodamode

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 03:20:31 PM »

I forgot to state that I am currently a Corrupt Dictatorship, though i preferred being a Psychotic Dictator.
Kadoshim
Archon Basileus
Spartiate

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 05:56:04 PM »

What advantages do you see in having a dictatorship as opposed to a democracy?
Symphanic
Citizen
Neodamode

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 08:36:37 AM »

Personally, I just like to have more control over what i have, but there are no problems with having a democracy, I just haven't leaned towards that yet. But a dictatorship doesn't have any real advantages over a democracy, they just seem to have decisions a little faster. Feel free to ask more questions.
Kadoshim
Archon Basileus
Spartiate

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 10:08:25 AM »

What are your goals for your nation?
Symphanic
Citizen
Neodamode

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2008, 08:21:58 PM »

My goals for my nation are to do what i think is best for the people under the current circumstances and to insure the survival of my country. I also wish to have good relations with other countries because i don't see the point of having enemies.
Symphanic
Citizen
Neodamode

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2008, 08:27:26 PM »

Feel free to keep asking questions, and I will try to respond to the as quickly as possibly and to the best of my knowledge.
King Chester
Geronta
Perioikos

Merit: 16

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2008, 09:22:57 PM »

Hypothetical Question:  Your neighbor and your neighbor's dog fall off a pier and into the ocean.  You may save either the neighbor or the dog.  Which do you save?
Symphanic
Citizen
Neodamode

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 02:25:21 PM »

I have to say i really like your question. I would have to say I would save my neighbor, under the assumption he's a good neighbor, if  he was a bad neighbor, then i would save the dog, but if they both were bad, I would watch to see hits the bottom first. But under the circumstance that they were both good, i would still save the neighbor, but be saddened by the loss of the dog.
Kadoshim
Archon Basileus
Spartiate

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2008, 03:05:10 PM »

I find that reply a bit disturbing.
Please describe in detail what method you used to reach that conclusion.
Symphanic
Citizen
Neodamode

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2008, 09:43:19 PM »

Well I treat people the same way as they treat other people, that's how I came to my conclusion for the person. For the dog, I'm really not a dog person, not to be mean to dogs, but since I was almost killed by one when I was 4, I haven't cared about them that much since. Sorry if I disturbed you by my previous response, I don't mean to offend people . Please keep responding and asking questions, it's really making me think and I'm having fun answering them.
King Chester
Geronta
Perioikos

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2008, 10:01:51 PM »

WE are pleased that you found OUR question enjoyable and worth entertaining.
Now, for something a little closer to politics.
Question:  Is it moral or ethical to start the creation of a human life, then dissect that developing human life without it's consent, in an effort to harvest the stem cells for research to the benefit of humans already born?
Bonus Points:  Explain and defend your answer.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 10:14:45 PM by King Chester » Logged
Symphanic
Citizen
Neodamode

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2008, 06:54:32 PM »

I have to say this question is really hard to answer, and I apologize in advance encase
i offend anyone. I have to say I support stem-cell research to the point of creating the life and studying how well it develops, but I don't think they have the right to just kill it. I mean it is developed and living. Though this partially contradicts my support for abortion, though I have a limit on that as well, I think a life has some value after it's born based on the fact that is is fully developed and able to live to live on its own to a certain degree. I hope this is a good enough answer for your question, if you want a more elaborate answer just ask, but I would prefer a new question.
King Chester
Geronta
Perioikos

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2008, 07:18:37 PM »

Pray, do not worry about offending by staking out a position and defending it.  Only worry about arguing your point without resorting to offensive language and being without refinement.

WE were hoping for a less ambivelent answer, however WE are pleased that you are giving the matter serious consideration.

A new question?  Oh, you ARE interesting in a masochistic sort of way  Grin

Question:
In your opinion, is same-sex attraction the result of some as yet unknown genetic coding, or the result of environmental factors that are not fully understood?  Again, bonus points for a good explanation/defense of your answer.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 07:41:01 PM by King Chester » Logged
Huttok
Citizen
Neodamode

Merit: 11

Carpe Diem Baby

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2008, 12:57:56 AM »

My trusted colleague Shieldelf promotes your entrance, that, for me is more than enough. To give you a further question to answer if you do not mind and the rest of the members here will have seen this before and probally getting bored with it but:

What is your opinion on war, as a general question? (use current affairs if you so wish i.e Afghan, Iraq)
 Do you believe in defending the region is at utmost or major scale preparation is a downfall?
Would you be prepared to place your forces (a small amount) in the care of the regional military (myself and Shieldelf) for combined training and a look at the realities of war in a controlled environment?

Please feel free to answer any or all of the questions in anyway you feel do not hold back. As long as you have a true opinion you will never be questioned, maybe argued but never thought of as anything less within this region.

I applaud your opinions and your inoffensive manner in previous posts. It shows maturity and ability which in the halls of the Apella is always sought.

Symphanic
Citizen
Neodamode

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2008, 07:21:28 PM »

To first answer King Chester, from observations in life, most people who are attracted to the same sex tend to have had some form of severe psychological stress  at some point in their lives. So from that, I lean towards it being an environmental factor, but I don't rule out the possibility of it being built into the person's genes. This could be the real answer and from the people i know, the psychological stress could have just triggered that part of their DNA to be active, which, in turn, would cause them to be attracted to the same sex. And as a little ad-on, i do support same-sex marriage and have no problems with people being attracted to the opposite sex. 
Symphanic
Citizen
Neodamode

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2008, 07:31:55 PM »

Now to reply to Huttok's questions. My opinion about war, in general, is that it should only be used in rare and extreme circumstances, such as if my country would be completely destroyed and there was no option for a treaty, I would, with no doubt, fight back, but I don't think countries should invade other countries just because they need that countries supplies. You can just trade with them and make an ally at the same time as getting your needed supplies. I don't think a country should ever be prepared for war at a major scale, it has the ability to cause corruption and create enemies when you have your military always ready to attack other nations. Also with that, in some circumstances you can't prepare for war because some enemies will do unexpected things and hat can cause you to lose, and if you lost all your allies because you were threatening to them, then you lose. So yes, I think it's a downfall. I would be prepared to send a small number of troupes to be in the care of a nation of the Meritocratic Isles and its allies, and I think it can be good for soldiers to know what war actually looks like before they go into battle so they don't get so surprised and shocked by it. Fell free to anyone in the Isles to read, respond and ask questions on whatever you want to, unless it will get you and/or us in trouble.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: