Meritocratic Isles
November 12, 2018, 11:18:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Please observe the rules set forth in our Civil Code.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: First Impressions  (Read 14355 times)
Kadoshim
Archon Basileus
Spartiate

Merit: 14

« on: September 16, 2008, 06:10:44 PM »

In my personal life, and yes, I do have a life other than as Archon Basileus, I have encountered the disturbing notion that when it comes to people, your first impression of someone can be your most accurate.
My opinion of this anonymous person started out quite poorly, but seemingly mistakenly as I communicated more with him. At one point in fact, I felt that this person was trustworthy and meritorious. Unfortunately, my opinion of him declined as he slowly began to prove himself lower than I thought, and has now sunk down to the level in which I can conclude that he is in fact, a jerk.
Is it merely a coincidence that my first, seemingly accidental first impression of this man is so close to the man I see him as now? What is the true accuracy of a first impression?
Shieldelf
Citizen
Perioikos

Merit: 8

Commander, Isles Militia

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 06:58:53 PM »

First impressions aren't usually correct. Me and my best friend both like metal, but no one would think that by seeing us. If you only saw us, you'd think classic rock. Moods also matter. Some people act different in bad moods.

King Chester
Geronta
Perioikos

Merit: 16

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 07:35:24 PM »

No, WE do not believe that first impressions are necessarily correct, either.  However, first impressions are real in that they either limit or give false expectations.  Also, negative false impressions may result in enmity if one cannot avoid contact with the object of one's concern.

Oh, after re-reading this, WE have made a mistake. 

NOW the subject at hand is SECOND IMPRESSIONS and the doubting of the First Impression.  It's actually one of the nobler things about humanity.  The consideration that one has misjudged another and the desire that the person live up to the Second Impression.  If they don't then people feel foolish about not trusting the First Impression.

It's an imperfect world.  If you can't forgive the person or learn to deal with them, then be polite and perhaps everyone will move into other orbits.  Sorry if this comes off as overly gruff and analytical.  Emotions ARE real, but electrons on a screen are limited.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 10:18:41 PM by King Chester » Logged
Huttok
Citizen
Neodamode

Merit: 11

Carpe Diem Baby

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 12:46:20 AM »

I do believe first impressions mean a lot yes they are an indication of the true person yet only as far as the person judging can perceive.

Many times in my military career I have met people who I have thought are absolutely most indefinably not going to be close to me or be able to get along with on any level. yet, working with them has shown me yes they are a good person and reliable (you need that) maybe the work and social sides are different but they still gain my respect.

On the other hand before I was a member of the forces I worked in retail management, and, have employed people in my mind before I have read their credentials or interviewed them. On the first impression basis.

My conclusion is first impressions are vital to your overall relationship with said person but can always be built upon through other means. Kadoshim has a good point, he met person A and disliked his personality, then after a few conversations and interactions he felt there maybe something yet this person still had a level of issues with him. this was proved correct in further interaction.

I feel what has been said there is a personal view of one person and cannot be a true comment on first impressions as an overall subject.
Kadoshim
Archon Basileus
Spartiate

Merit: 14

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 12:20:46 PM »

Shieldelf, in my case my first impression was correct. Once again, is this merely a coincidence?
Chester, I have to agree. The gift of giving people 2nd chances is one of the greatest feats of human kindness. Alas, my 2nd impression gave way to my 3rd impression, which was eerily similar to my 1st impression.
Huttok, you present a good point on the complexity of human relationships. As for social mistakes, not crimes, I believe everyone deserves a second, and usually a third chance.
I have been badly judged before and have experienced the pain that anyone could feel by giving a poor impression, and think the world would be a better place if people forgave more and gave more chances.
Robinho
Ephor
Neodamode

Merit: 6

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 03:41:25 PM »

i must confess to being quite quick to form first impressions, but i feel that i do regularly re-evaluate my impressions and react to my further interactions with them. Although this may be as much as to what i think i would do whereas my actions are not quite so open.

At the end of the day i try to think the best of people.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: