Meritocratic Isles
November 12, 2018, 11:20:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Please take a look at the historical documents in The Athenaeum.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Global Energy Crisis  (Read 13157 times)
Kadoshim
Archon Basileus
Spartiate

Merit: 14

« on: September 23, 2008, 12:55:07 PM »

The world's energy demands are enormous and growing, while the rise in energy prices has put strain on the global economy.
Almost everyone can agree that action must be taken to ensure that people have access to affordable energy. The question is: how?
Shieldelf
Citizen
Perioikos

Merit: 8

Commander, Isles Militia

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 01:58:55 PM »

Lots of Wind Farms would help, but a big problem is the Middle East stability.

Robinho
Ephor
Neodamode

Merit: 6

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 06:53:04 PM »

current generators are a must for those nations that are not land locked. Windfarms (especially in scotland), nucelar, etc definitly have to be explored and utilised as well.
Kadoshim
Archon Basileus
Spartiate

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 03:53:20 PM »

I am shocked that solar power is yet to be mentioned. In large countries or those near the equator, solar power could be an enormous energy resource.
Overall I feel that we have reached a turning point of how we think of energy in which adopting renewable fuels is the only way out.
Sure, we could keep on drilling, and looking for other sources of fossil fuels, but it is inevitable that a few decades from then our civilization would face the exact same problem as we do now.
Robinho
Ephor
Neodamode

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 04:05:03 PM »

i would have mentioned sola power but i have heard that the actual production of the solar panels uses's so much energy that they are barely efficeient. hence my rluctance to put it forward without some investigation
King Chester
Geronta
Perioikos

Merit: 16

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 10:27:50 PM »

Solar Power is impractical in that there will likely be an extensive build up of heat in the power plant area and that there are cloudy days.  Actually, if we can generate electricity from just the ultraviolet light, that might take care of the cloudy day problem.

It was hypothesized that solar power could transmitted from earth orbit via microwaves, but that has other atmospheric problems.

WE believe that the only practical way to get solar power may not yet be within humankind's grasp.  The SPACE-ELEVATOR technology would link the Earth to an artificial satellite in geosychronous orbit via an umbilical cable and the ubilical cable could be used to transmit regular and reliable electricity from orbit to the Earth.

WE vote for Nuclear Power.
Robinho
Ephor
Neodamode

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 02:23:36 AM »

solar panels in the roofs of buildings perhaps? Meaning on sunny days houses do not need to take so much power from the grid   Huh?
Robinho
Ephor
Neodamode

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008, 03:45:40 AM »

http://devicedaily.com/environment/energy-ball-a-cheap-and-efficient-wind-turbine.html
Kadoshim
Archon Basileus
Spartiate

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 12:03:08 PM »

Your Majesty, I agree that because of variations in weather, solar power is not a viable source of energy everywhere. However there are places even in the United States, such as Yuma, Arizona, that are sunny 90% of the time. Surely solar panels could provide ample amounts of energy to these extremely sunny regions.
As for the space elevator, it would be an even bigger investment than getting renewable energy on Earth. Also, keep in mind that those few umbilical cables would be critical to our infrastructure, miles long, difficult to defend, and therefore a mouth-watering target for anyone who wanted to harm us. I would not completely rule it out for the future, though.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: