Meritocratic Isles
November 15, 2018, 12:34:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Meritocratic Isles!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hippish People applies for citizenship  (Read 52614 times)
hippish people
Citizen
Neodamode

Merit: 6

« on: September 28, 2008, 09:00:06 AM »

I, Queen Harmony, of the Queendom of the Hippish People, pledge to act as a responsible citizen of the Meritocratic Isles, to uphold its laws, and contribute to the governance of the region.

Kadoshim
Archon Basileus
Spartiate

Merit: 14

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 09:02:50 AM »

Welcome to our cherished forums, Hippish People.

As a citizen, how would you help the Meritocratic Isles?
hippish people
Citizen
Neodamode

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 06:29:08 PM »

Well, Kadoshim, since our great region was built on the principles of respectful debate I would add an interesting and unique perspective. I also am a very dedicated recruiter and would be extremely honored to be a citizen of this grand area.
King Chester
Geronta
Perioikos

Merit: 16

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 11:05:56 PM »

Welcome, Queen Harmony.

This question is not meant to be sexist, but it has it's origins in a time where a female monarch was practically unheard of:

How do You feel about the doctrine of  "The Divine Rights of Kings"?

Also, in Your opinion, what are the duties of a monarch?

Sincerely,

Chester,
Lord of House Worden,
Steward of God,
King, Reigning over You-Gi-Owe.
hippish people
Citizen
Neodamode

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 12:08:55 PM »

I disagree with this doctrine. The reason being is that we do not only answer to god nor do we get our power from god. We answer to our people for it is them that must carry the burdens of our decisions as rulers. We get our power from the people as well because it is with their trust in us that we make the best decisions for our country.
Kadoshim
Archon Basileus
Spartiate

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 02:28:32 PM »

You seem to believe strongly in democracy, especially for a Queen.
What is your definition of freedom?
At what point does the right to freedom end?

On a different note:
I also am a very dedicated recruiter
Please list a few nations that you have recruited to the Meritocratic Isles.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 02:33:33 PM by Kadoshim » Logged
King Chester
Geronta
Perioikos

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 06:30:48 PM »

WE are surprised, as well, at the remarks of a fellow monarch.  Perhaps the answer lies in the founding of the Nation of Hippish People?

OUR nation firmly believes in the Divine Right of Kings, under the threat that if WE displease GOD that OUR Kingdom should be taken away from US.  WE strongly disagree that OUR powers and station do not come from GOD.  Would you suppose that all things that exist came about by accident?

Even that great democratic-republic, The United States of America, in their founding document, their Declaration of Independence, recognize "Nature's God", their "Creator" and the need to rely upon the "protection of Divine Providence".

Without the guidance of The Almighty, through His Stewards, a country becomes a many-headed monstrosity, much like the French Revolution.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 06:32:44 PM by King Chester » Logged
hippish people
Citizen
Neodamode

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 05:34:14 PM »

I deeply convey my sincerest apologies if I offended you in any way with my beliefs. I personally believe that faith in an Almighty is an admirable quality and one that I unfortunately do not posses. As a Monarch I see Hippish People as a new monarchy, one that branches out in a different direction from the paths normally taken in a monarchy. Who are we (Queens and Kings) but common folk who serve our fellow men and women with honor and dignity hoping that we earn their trust and are worthy of it? When children play they always dream of being a Queen or a King  in hopes that they could rule and run an entire nation all by themselves, but the innocence of youth is brought out again when these children neglect to realize that because you are the only one ruling the burden of your decisions lies with you alone. This is something I do not take lightly, nor do I believe any other ruler does, but if you are to slip and make a false decision your people would leave and then who are you to govern? and help? and aid? The trees and hills and grass? for I can assure you these are not lively subjects. The truth of the matter is the power, regardless of what type of government, lies with the people, for a leader without followers is the sea without its white tipped waves, a day without the bright sun, a crown without its brightest jewel.
hippish people
Citizen
Neodamode

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 05:52:00 PM »

In response to Kadoshim, my people never gave up their freedom; they are free to come and go as they please. However they stay because they trust and respect me as I do them. I'm sorry if that seems improbable or preposterous to you but what a different path, as I mentioned above, entails is making people stretch their minds beyond their realm of possibility.

In response to the recruiting, well, I said I was dedicated not successful. At one time I believe I had seven nations I recruited to this region, unfortunately the vast majority of them left. However, I think it is a little humorous that you bring this up because I started in recruiting as a personal favor to you and ended when you told me that you had it "under control" but I would be glad to resume my attempts if you need the assistance, for the region of course.

Sorry to make this all one reply but in response to King Chester about the founding  of the United States, of the delegates who wrote the Declaration of Independence very few had solid concrete religious ideas. They put it in because the vast majority of the people of  the new nation were god fearing people and it represented the peoples wishes and beliefs.
King Chester
Geronta
Perioikos

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 09:22:40 PM »

To OUR dearest cousin, Queen Harmony.

WE are not offended in the least, only exceptionally surprised.  Your mention of burdens is not unfamiliar to US.  Allow US to expound on the concept of Kingship as it is practiced in You-Gi-Owe.  The King owns nothing, but is a Steward to Almighty GOD and will have to account for all of his actions on the Day of Judgement.  The King has no other master than his Lord and Savior, and strives to love GOD with all his heart and soul and might.  The King strives to love his neighbor as himself.  One might say, "what about the fabulous wealth and power?"  Admittedly, the position provides the opportunity for comforts beyond the average means of most of the King's subjects, but a true King knows that these are still things that are transitory wisps in the fabric of space-time and are not the teasures of Heaven.

If WE were a false king, WE should expect to be abandoned.  However, nature abhors a vacuum and WE expect someone, for good or for ill, would rise to claim the mantle of leadership through some claim of some type of legitimacy.

As regards to the creation of the United States of America, WE respectfully challenge your assertion that it's architects were mostly of a disbelieving nature.  WE recall that one of the Declaration's signatories was both a Doctor of Medicine and Divinity.  Also, Mr. Jefferson, was of a believing nature and considered himself a "Dei-ist".  Dr. Franklin, a popular advocate of the humanist point of view, is said to have wept and donated all the money he had on him to the mission of an evangelist in the era called, "The Great Awakening" AND determined at a later date not to give a cent at the speaker's next meeting then was so moved that he gave up a very valuable timepiece after hearing the sermon.

WE recently obtained the new printing of a book, "The Christian Life and Character of the Civil Institutions of the United States", by Rev. Benjamin Franklin Morris, from the time of the American Civil War.  WE imagine that WE shall eagerly devour the contents.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 10:05:06 PM by King Chester » Logged
Kadoshim
Archon Basileus
Spartiate

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2008, 05:15:38 PM »

Very well then.
Please answer the following questions, Your Majesty Queen Harmony.
What is your definition of freedom?
At what point does the right to freedom end?
hippish people
Citizen
Neodamode

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2008, 07:26:52 PM »

Freedom is the ability do do what you please when you please how you please. Freedom ends when you endanger another person and/or animal or violate the law.
Kadoshim
Archon Basileus
Spartiate

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2008, 10:03:17 AM »

I would say this application is just about complete. I will start the vote now, but citizens feel free to continue questioning if you have not reached your opinion yet.
Shieldelf
Citizen
Perioikos

Merit: 8

Commander, Isles Militia

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2008, 07:40:41 PM »

Are you a WA member?

hippish people
Citizen
Neodamode

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2008, 02:30:49 PM »

Yes
Kadoshim
Archon Basileus
Spartiate

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2008, 12:14:24 PM »

Congratulations, Queen Harmony. The Apella has approved your application and you are now a citizen of the Politeia.
Be sure to stay true the pledge you took by acting as a responsible citizen of the Meritocratic Isles, upholding its laws, and contributing to the governance of the region.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: