Meritocratic Isles
November 12, 2018, 10:26:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Please observe the rules set forth in our Civil Code.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Suppress International Piracy  (Read 10282 times)
Kadoshim
Archon Basileus
Spartiate

Merit: 14

« on: October 04, 2008, 10:43:24 AM »

The Child Protection Act did not spark much discussion among the leaders in the Meritocratic Isles. Perhaps one about pirates will prove to be more interesting.
A proposal in the WA, called Suppress International Piracy has been proposed. How do you plan to vote on this resolution and why?
Shieldelf
Citizen
Perioikos

Merit: 8

Commander, Isles Militia

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 11:31:50 AM »

I accually have not read this yet, but I think piracy is bad and will vote to get rid of it.

Kadoshim
Archon Basileus
Spartiate

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 04:17:44 PM »

I agree, Shieldelf. This resolution properly addresses the serious issue of international piracy that weakens trade and economies while fueling conflict and distrust among nations.
King Chester
Geronta
Perioikos

Merit: 16

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 07:07:18 PM »

WE believe that this is one of the better written pieces of legislation to be produced by the WA.

If WE have one concern, however, it is the status of those persons pressed into service as pirates by their captors.  In the "Golden Age of Piracy", a person caught by pirates could either die immediately if they refused service to the pirate captain OR they could die later at the end of a government's rope (regardless of forced or willing service on a pirate vessel).  Indeed the policy of the English Navy to persons forced service on a pirate vessel led to the creation of the most feared pirate of the age, Black Bart Roberts.
Kadoshim
Archon Basileus
Spartiate

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 01:05:33 PM »

You have a valid point there Chester, and I think it is a shame that the resolution does not touch on that issue. However, hopefully with a decrease in the overall amount of piracy, the prevelance of this problem will be reduced.
My best hope for the fair treatment of these prisoners forced into being pirates is an understanding legal system in individual nations.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: