Meritocratic Isles
December 16, 2018, 06:12:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Meritocratic Isles!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: What is your favorite game?  (Read 18148 times)
Rushi
Helot

Merit: 1

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2006, 12:27:19 PM »

Final Fantasy X
Civilisation III
Age of Empires
Soul Calibur III

I've lately been coerced into playing Warhammer and that's quite interesting too.
Jasque
Archon Praefectus
Aristocrat

Merit: 30

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2006, 02:42:28 PM »

I never thought of FFX as being an Objectivist game, but I suppose it was in a sense.  I was surprised that the game seemed to have such strong Western values, but I didnít think about Randís philosophy.  FFX was anti-statist, anti-religious, and pro-individualism.  It also took a strong stance against sacrificing the individual to benefit society--something Rand talked about quite often. 

Jack McDonald,
President of the Radioactive Republic of Jasque
Former Archon Basileus of the Politeia
Shasarazade
Citizen
Perioikos

Merit: 6

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2006, 05:15:54 PM »

I found FFX to be very Objectivist.

FFVII was Objectivist, too, in a strange sense. I used to think it was environmentalist hippy-nonsense (but loved it anyway), but once I got to thinking about it, the general conflict is very Objectivist.

Consider the way in which the fictional planet operated, with the lifestream and reincarnation. If that were metaphysical fact, it would be morally wrong to intentionally destroy the glue that literally holds your planet together. Remember when Bugenhagen shows your party what happens when the lifestream is totally sucked away? The planet crumbles and disappears. That makes ShinRa, who was using the lifestream for energy, pretty damn anti-life (not to mention they did other horrible things, like biological experiments for the hell of it, similar to Nazis).

Also consider the character of Cloud; in the beginning of the game, he is literally faking reality—he lies about being in SOLDIER. It was always his dream to join SOLDIER and be like Sephiroth, and when that fell apart, he "became" Zach in his mind, perpetuating this lie that he was a big, bad SOLDIER as long as he could before it made him pretty insane. When he finally gets over this, when he finally deals with his psychological issues, when he comes to terms with reality, then he becomes the hero, and a pretty individualistic hero, too. After he comes back from the lifestream, he makes a big speech about how he is fighting for himself, for his own reasons, and he tells all the party members to go out find their own reasons. That seems pretty Objectivist to me.

Or maybe I twist things to justify my liking them. Tongue

ShasarazadeóSlices like a #@$% hammer!
Consul of the Meritocracy
Fox
Spartiate

Merit: 15

Angel Sanctuary is the bestest of the best!! :)

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2006, 03:07:05 PM »

Command Under Attack --> if any of you like stragtegy, you might just like this game. Smiley
Age of Empires
Final Fantasy (All of them)
Chain of Command
Prince of Persia (All of them)
Dead or Alive (All)
Guilty Gear X2
Mortal Combat
And many many many more, but these are all time favorites.

~I'm nice, most of the time Cheesy~
Would a better answer have been to point to "Administrator", noting that if God existed, He would never allow so foul and cruel a forum-master to come into being?
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: