Meritocratic Isles
November 14, 2018, 11:55:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Meritocratic Isles!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Children's Five Minute Sermons  (Read 13623 times)
King Chester
Geronta
Perioikos

Merit: 16

« on: November 03, 2008, 07:18:29 PM »

Greetings.
A friend of mine at NationStates was curious about the Sunday Morning Children's Messages
that I've been doing for my local church's kids.  Since the telegram feature there isn't as good
as the forums here at the Isles, I thought this might be a good place to post.

Also, if anyone has some good ideas or have done Children's Messages of their own, I wouldn't
mind the help.

Here is the first of 3 Children's Message offerings:

Animals and the Written Word

(Enter In Costume)  Good Morning!  I imagine you're all excited about Halloween this coming
Friday night.  I think for it.  Today, instead of "Professor Chester", you can call me "Professor
Panda".
   Today, we're going to have a lesson in civilization and communication.  I want you all in a line.
I'm going to whisper some words to ... you (point at a child" and you're going to whisper the same
words to the boy or girl next to you and pass the message down the line.
  (Whispered to child) 'Then the man said, "This at last is bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh".
  Thank you kids. We've just found out how hard it is for information to be passed from one
person to another without written words.  Written language, along with human intelligence, is a
gift from God.
   We all love our pets and animals, and I imagine that they DO speak to each other, but I think
that God chosen human beings for His special work.  That's why we have the written word, so
we can keep history and records and write poems and pass those on to people that will be born
in the future.  No animals have the written word, so that's why no animals have ever built an
airplane, or a rocket to go to the moon in.  It's because of the written word that we can reed the
Bible and know that it will be without any mistakes for the people in the past, the present and
the future.
   Let's pray:  Dear God, thank You for your Your gifts to us, especially the written word, so that
we can read the Bible.  You loved us first and we love You back.  Amen.

More Later  Cool
King Chester
Geronta
Perioikos

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 10:30:34 PM »

My pastor requested a lesson on ethics, on a Saturday, after I'd informed him of my
intended subject on Wednesday.  This is heavy stuff for kids, and he was somewhat
disappointed that I chose not to follow some of his suggestions.  K.I.S.S. = Keep It
Simple, Stupid.
Here is the 2nd of the three Children's Message offerings:

Ethics and the Three Basic Rules

Good morning, girls and boys.
   Did you know that "goodness" is a science, and that "rightness" can have a nature?
Goodness can be a science because we can experiment by doing thing and seeing how
happy people are with what's been done.  Rightness has a nature, because when some-
Thing is done "right" or "righteously", that thing seems naturally true.  Does anyone
know what we call the science of goodness and the nature of right?  It's called, "Ethics".

There are some famous rules about ethics.  The first rule is called, "The Iron Rule".
That's the rule that says the biggest and toughest people or groups get to boss people
around.  I don't like that rule very much.  The second rule is called, "The Silver Rule".
That's the rule that says people shouldn't treat other people badly, because the other
people will treat them badly someday.

The third famous rule is the one that Jesus taught.  Does anyone know what that rule
is called?  Right.  Jesus taught , "The Golden Rule".  The golden rule says that we should
treat other people as we, ourselves, want to be treated.

It's experiment time.  Who knows what is going to happen this coming Tuesday?  Very
good, a big and important election.  I have some flags here....  We'll start with Pastor Mike.
Pastor Mike, how long have you been an American?  Wow, that's a long time.  I don't have
enought flags for that many years, so you take them all.  I'm sorry, kids.  I'm out of flags.
Pastor Mike earned them all.  Let's see what happens if we try the three rules and we'll
get all of the other adults to help us.

First, let's try the iron rule.  Everyone, repeat after me:  "Pastor Mike, we out-number
you and we vote for you to give us your flags".

That didn't work.  Let's try the silver rule.  Everyone, repeat after me:  "Pastor Mike, if
you don't share your flags with us now, then we won't share things with you".

That didn't work, either.  Let's try the golden rule.  Everyone, repeat after me:  "Pastor
Mike, after God the Father, and Jesus, and the Holy Spirit, and our families, we love you
and want to share good things with you."

Wow!  Pastor Mike decided to share with us because of the golden rule.  Why?  Because
Pastor Mike loves Jesus and wants to be good to people like Jesus is good to him.

The golden rule won't always help you with other people.  Sometimes people can be
selfish or they have reasons for not sharing.  You won't always get what you want by using
the golden rule, but you'll know that you behaved in a way that shows Jesus that you love
Him.  Amen.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 10:36:24 PM by King Chester » Logged
King Chester
Geronta
Perioikos

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 06:30:28 AM »

This message was originally scheduled for 02Nov08, before the message on Ethics.  Fortunately, this message deals with the concept of TIME.
Here is the 3rd of the first 3 messages:

No Time Machine?

PASTOR MIKE:  I wonder where Professor Chester is?

PROFESSOR CHESTER:  (Enters, in costume)  Good morning, girls and boys!  Is everyone looking forward to Halloween this coming Friday night?

PASTOR MIKE:  Children, it looks like this is Professor Chester.  Remember, he has a P-H-D in G-O-D?  I think he's a little confused.  Professor Chester, Halloween was two days ago.

PROFESSOR CHESTER:  I wanted to go back in time to Halloween, so I could get more candy.  I must have made a mistake when I was building my time machine.  I even have my instruction book (hands book to Pastor).

PASTOR MIKE:  "How to Build a Time Machine".  Well, I'm sorry that your time machine didn't work, Professor Chester, but do you have a Children's Message ready for THIS week?

PROFESSOR CHESTER:  Yes, I do.  I was prepared that this might happen.

Kids, I have a really hard question for you.  Does anyone know what TIME is?

TIME is what keeps everything from happening all at once (clap hands).

But there needs to be some things for even Time to happen.  There needs to be Space, or distances between things, and movement, and things need to be made of different things.

Here, in my hand, is a solid rubber ball.  On the outside of the ball, Time is happening.  but n the inside of the ball, where everything is made of the same stuff and there's no space between anything that is inside of the ball, it's almost like there's NO Time inside the ball.

There are a lot of scientists who think that EVERYTHING used to be all in one place, like a ball made all of the same stuff.  They don't know why it all spread out.  I think that the reason everything spread out is that  GOD spread it out.  GOD didn't want everything to happen all at once, like a clap (clap).  So GOD made Time.

And since we have time, we can play different games, eat different foods, watch different shows on television, and come here every Sunday to worship GOD and thank Him for all of His gifts.

Would you please pray with me?  Dear GOD, thank you for all of the many gifts that YOU have given us, including the gift of time.  While we have time, teach us to love YOU and teach us to treat our neighbors as we would like our neighbors to treat us.  We love YOU and in JESUS' name we pray.  Amen.
kiki-strike
Ephor
Neodamode

Merit: 6

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 05:38:21 AM »

I love them--very clever ways to teach children about God! Smiley

"Learn from the mistakes of others.  You can't live long enough to make them all yourself." -Eleanor Roosevelt

"A friend is one who knows us, but loves us anyway." -Fr. Jerome Cummings

"Keep your face to the sunshine and you will not see the shadows." -Helen Keller

"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." -Martin Luther King, Jr.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: