Meritocratic Isles
November 15, 2018, 01:10:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Meritocratic Isles!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Things to think about  (Read 16024 times)
Kadoshim
Archon Basileus
Spartiate

Merit: 14

« on: November 14, 2008, 12:31:11 PM »

Imagine you are a soldier serving America, the country you love. Your general assigns you this vital mission:
Paratroop into the enemy territory and negotiate a peace treaty with their leader.
You are concerned about this dangerous operation and contact the CIA and NSA for information. Both tell you with near certainty that the enemy will not negotiate with you and it is possible that you will be held prisoner by the enemy. The night before the plane ride, you lie in your barracks, wide awake and dripping with chilling sweat. Do you go through with this futile risk?
King Chester
Geronta
Perioikos

Merit: 16

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 01:05:49 PM »

First, WE shall make some assumptions, which if they are erroneous WE ask for correction.

Usually, it it not the calling of a soldier to represent a nation in treaty negotiations.
This work is usually carried out by persons in the Office of the Foreign Secretary or State Department.
It will not likely be a "lawful order" without the signature of the Prime Minister or Commander in Chief.
Most more than likely the soldier would be assigned to protect a diplomat.

Imagining that all of the "i" 's are dotted and "t" 's are crossed, the honorable and lawful thing to do is to obey orders.

Would WE volunteer for such a mission?  WE are not certain.

If called upon by GOD or an honorable leader, WE like to believe that WE would obey OUR orders.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 01:08:08 PM by King Chester » Logged
Shieldelf
Citizen
Perioikos

Merit: 8

Commander, Isles Militia

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 01:31:27 PM »

Plus, unless you are SpecOps or CIA, you wouldn't be doing this anyways...

Kadoshim
Archon Basileus
Spartiate

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 02:08:21 PM »

I understand this hypothetical is not accurate. The point of it however is to make one think of the balance between the safety of oneself and one's honor and duty.
It is about to what extent one should do something that is right that puts them at risk and is likely to fail. It is a personal question that I have found myself needing to answer before, and I hope this exercise will prepare you in your personal lives for this kind of situation.
The details are foolish and the stakes are overdramatized, but I believe this question, looked at in the right light, can really help one determine what kind of person they want to be.
hippish people
Citizen
Neodamode

Merit: 6

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 05:57:01 PM »

That's a really interesting and thought provoking question. I think I would do it but not without leaving something behind for people to remember me and a sworn promise that no one will try to avenge my death because that is really stupid. Really though, I would rather die a soldier trying to negotiate peace without ever touching a weapon and killing someone, than die in a bloody battle having caused someone Else's loved ones to feel the way mine do after I died (If I die. I do try to remain optimistic).  Smiley
Kadoshim
Archon Basileus
Spartiate

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 06:48:19 PM »

Those are excellent points, Hippish People.
As for me, I too would do it. I believe in honor and integrity that transcends a victory or defeat in the situation itself. A soldier who rejects the calling of his beloved country gives up his honor just as a person who abandons their morals for the similar reason of "fear". I believe that people of any religion or ideology, after carefully determining their values, should have faith in doing what is right.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: