Meritocratic Isles
November 12, 2018, 11:44:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Please take a look at the historical documents in The Athenaeum.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: If you ran a business, would "calling in gay" be an acceptable excuse?
Yes - 1 (25%)
No - 3 (75%)
Total Voters: 4

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "A Day Without a Gay"  (Read 17160 times)
King Chester
Geronta
Perioikos

Merit: 16

« on: December 09, 2008, 07:36:52 PM »

Would "phoning in gay" be an acceptable excuse for an
employee to miss work at a business that you owned?
Shieldelf
Citizen
Perioikos

Merit: 8

Commander, Isles Militia

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 08:50:15 PM »

Huh? What? Since when is being gay an excuse for missing work?

King Chester
Geronta
Perioikos

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 10:29:36 PM »

Apparently, this date, 10 DEC, was thought to be a good day for protest.
Rather than call in "sick", those wishing to protest were to call in "gay".
Valle de Mexico
Perioikos

Merit: 3

Viceroy

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 11:33:59 PM »

I spent the whole day at the mall, and only ate outside today.

The Triumvirate of Valle de Mexico

The Meritocratic Confederacy of Valle de Mexico
hippish people
Citizen
Neodamode

Merit: 6

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 04:20:20 PM »

I would most definitely except that excuse! Rock on Gay Rights!!!!!!
Robinho
Ephor
Neodamode

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 05:00:30 PM »

mystified is this an american thing
Shieldelf
Citizen
Perioikos

Commander, Isles Militia

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 05:17:35 PM »

Apparently. In the Middle East you'd get killed for being gay...

hippish people
Citizen
Neodamode

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 03:55:01 PM »

Excuse me? That is rude and racist and exactly the reason why the US rushes into wars we can not win with violence. Ignorance in this area is inexcusable and will not be tolerated.

It is true that in some societies in the Middle East you can be murdered for being gay but it is exactly the same in America. (Turn on the news)

Next time think before you say something that is untrue and well spread government propaganda, which drives the egotistical and extremely ignorant force that is the American spirit at its worst.
Shieldelf
Citizen
Perioikos

Commander, Isles Militia

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2008, 09:28:28 AM »

Sorry if it sounded harsh, I didn't mean it that way. I'm just saying its a fact, a lot of the countries there will do that. I'll keep out of this debate after this post, but what did you mean it happens in America? Where I'm at it doesn't happen...

King Chester
Geronta
Perioikos

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2008, 11:19:38 AM »

Queen Harmony,

Is it possible that you're over-reacting to the words of Shieldelf?  What he said was merely a statement of fact and that some of the cultures in the Middle East, while turning a blind eye in private, are callous about the public death of homosexuals.  While "hate crimes" and murders happen in the U.S.A., the U.S.A.  does not condone the behavior.

Actually, even with the world economy in it's current state, the U.S.A. could win ANY war rather handily, except, perhaps, Red China.  The reason that they don't QUICKLY win in current enterprises is that they don't want to really wipe out entire cultures.

But, to return to the topic, WE do not believe that being homosexual is an excuse to miss work that one is employed or contracted for.  If one wishes to protest, one should take a vacation day.  To call in "gay" sounds, to US, like a sickness.  Isn't the perception of  being "sick" or different something that they've been fighting against?
hippish people
Citizen
Neodamode

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2008, 09:29:57 AM »

After having time to review what I posted I realize it was a bit of an overreaction. It is just that many people in western cultures do not give a fair representation of Middle Eastern culture and it is increasingly frustrating when the youth of countries such as the USA believe that Islam teaches people to go out and blow themselves up, which is very very false. My apologies, Shieldelf, for the overreaction seeing as this really is not the issue at hand.

However I think it is also important to note that many Middle Eastern countries do not condone the murder of gay people.

Well back to the topic, homosexuality was, up until 1973, on the US list of mental diseases and disorders. I believe the purpose of Day Without a Gay is to show what your life would be like without the gay population.   
King Chester
Geronta
Perioikos

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2008, 12:15:48 PM »

Queen Harmony,

WE acknowledge that there are Middle Eastern countries that do not openly persecute homosexuality or condone violence against those persons.

As human beings, sexual orientation is not a disqualifier for human rights.  Biologically, there is a problem with same-sex relations.  Perhaps technology, which works for lesbians, can one day help males?  WE recall some fantastic (in that they are far from reality, not that they were great) films with the "pregnant man" concept.

Back to topic, again:
Yes, the purpose was clear.  It didn't seem to have much of an effect, though.  Persons in OUR Kingdom and (WE hear) in the U.S.A. did not seem terribly inconvenienced.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: